Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Centers and How I do them + some other ideas!

Well since I'm sitting at home enjoying multiple snow days, I thought I'd write another blog. ;)



When I moved to K, I knew that centers would be an important part of our day. I looked through many books and web sites, but didn't find a way to manage centers that I truly like until this year. Dr. Jean to the rescue again! Her book "Wonderful Rooms Where Children Can Bloom", had an idea that I tweaked for my own use.

I used a canvas and cut out multi colored triangles on the cricut. Then I put sticky hooks on it and used the center tags from the book I got at a Dr. Jean conference. Each day I change them.



The kids stay in the same groups for many weeks or I change them if there is a problem. ;) They are getting responsible and are able to "read" for themselves which center they are going to that day. We do 4 days of centers, so they usually get to all. If not, I carry them over into the next week. It's made my life much easier and it gives the kiddos ownership of what they are doing. I'm all about giving them responsibility!!

I don't know about you, but boy, Kindergarten takes a lot of stuff!! I found some other great ways to organize on Dr. Jean's website and in her conference book. I'll put in a plug here, if you've never been to one of her conferences you must try to go!! They are wonderful! :)

I use clothes hangers to hang songs and poems on a hook. Then I hang them on a wreath hanger in the closet. Keeps them nice and neat!!

Another idea from Dr. Jean, a days of the week tub which I turned into drawers with labels for each day. You could even put teaching materials in it. We have another one for weekly crafts.

Every little bit helps when you have TONS of stuff!! :)



Well, Happy Groundhog Day to all! Punxsutawney Phil didn't see his shadow, so I guess spring is on the way! Since we weren't in school on Groundhog day, we'll do some things when we get back. On Dr. Jean's c.d., "Happy Everything" there is a fun Groundhog's day song! Looking forward to teaching it to the kiddos!

Next time I'll update Valentine's day things.

Have a happy heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment